Friday, February 3, 2012

What Dreams Are Made Of

Apparently, most girls when growing up dream of the most perfect prom gown and the most perfect wedding gown.  How do I know this?  Personally from my niece and also from watching “Say to the Dress”.  I know, you have completely lost all respect for me.  Not because I listen to my niece, but because I watch that show.  It’s a recent obsession.   I had no idea.  I had never spent two minutes thinking about dresses.  Truly.  But I’ve always thought about jewelry.  More about that some other time.

“Say Yes to the Dress” is for me quite the entertaining show.  First, because I hate shopping.   Well, I’m not allowed to say hate.  Some other, younger nieces remind me of this repeatedly.  So I abhor, detest, cannot tolerate, will avoid at all costs, dodge, make up excuses, will go so far as to break a bone and end up in the emergency room if one so much as mentions the word shopping, that is how much I prefer other activities to shopping.  But back to the show.  All the folks that the bride brings along tend to be a bit non-supportive and overwhelming.  (You really must watch at least one episode! It gets addicting.)  I cannot believe rational human beings treat their loved ones this way. 

This part is not, I repeat not, late breaking news.  I have been married.  Twenty seven years ago.  I even wore a wedding gown.  Guess what?  It didn’t cost thousands of dollars, didn’t take hours and hours of emotional toll with a gaggle of relatives and friends to vote.  We found one.  It fit.  It looked great.  It fit the budget.  Voila!  We moved on to the next item on the list.  But I am a practical woman.  I didn’t spend hours and days mooning over how wonderful and perfect my wedding day would be.  I never thought about it at all.  Until I had to.  The only part I actually contemplated was the engagement ring.  I’m very picky.  I did receive what I wanted.  That’s how I knew we were perfect.  These women go on and on and on….. spending money on so much that is so fleeting.  Just to make it their perfect day.  While the whole effect is nice, it doesn’t last.  Really.  Can you spend 50% less and get almost the same effect?  Do you really need 15 attendants?  On each side?

What amazes me in watching these wedding shows is how much money is spent.  If someone offered me half the sum that is spent I would take the money and run and use the funds as a down-payment on a home.  So much more practical.  Especially in these perilous times.  By the way, even by the standards of the time, my wedding was a marvel of economy with tons of fun.  It all comes down to the planning.  But in the end, we all do what we want and that’s what makes us happy.

1 comment: